Roasted Carrot, Turmeric & Coconut Soup
- 5kg carrots
- 4kg Queensland blue pumpkin or similar
- 300g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt flakes
- Cracked black pepper
- 250g extra virgin coconut oil
- 1750g brown onion (diced to roughly 1cm)
- 10 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 175g fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 300g honey
- 5 teaspoons ras el hanout
- 5 teaspoons turmeric (ground)
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 10L stock
- 2.5L coconut cream
- Extra coconut cream and fresh coriander to serve
Preheat the oven to 220C. Peel and cut the carrots and pumpkin into inch cubes, place into a bowl with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt and evenly spread onto parchment lined trays, place in preheated oven and cook for 30-40 minutes or until golden and soft.
Meanwhile heat a large pot on the stove, add the extra virgin coconut oil and cook the diced onion over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes (no colour). Add the garlic, ginger and honey, cook over a gentle heat for a further 5 minutes.
Add the ras el hanout and turmeric cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Deglaze with the Verjuice or apple cider vinegar, cook for 2 minutes or until evaporated.
Place the roasted carrots, pumpkin and stock into the pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until thick. Pour in the coconut cream and simmer for a final 5 minutes. Remove from the stove and blend in a high performance blender until silky smooth. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
To serve - divide the soup between the bowls, top with a some extra coconut cream and fresh coriander.
PDF Recipe Card You may need to right-click the link and 'Save target as...' to download this file.